Skip to main content

February Wildlife Report


Last Days of Summer

Cloudy evening skies over Moreton Bay, Sandgate.

Despite humid conditions and cloudy days, Brisbane received only 15.8mm of rainfall this month, making it the driest February since 1859.

Some species adjust to these circumstances better than others. Unlike most other
types of waterfowl, Plumed Whistling-Ducks (Dendrocygna eytoni) can make do with even the smallest drying dam. This camp - seen at the Kilcoy Showgrounds - wisely sought shade during the hottest part of a 35C day.

Plumed Whistling-Ducks, Kilcoy.

Golden Orb-Weaver, Lake Somerset.

A day out around Lake Somerset was an especially enjoyable outing for me this month, particularly the rich birdlife around the Villaneuve area. Highlights included a Cotton Pygmy-Goose (Nettapus coromandelianus), distant Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus), a pair of Red-kneed Dotterels (Erythrogonus cinctus) and a White-throated Gerygone (Gerygone olivacea).

Non-bird sightings included large Golden Orb-Weavers (Nephila plumipes), Lesser Wanderers (Danaus petilia) and an enormous Lace Monitor (Varanus varius) sunning itself on a rockpile.

The lake is an extremely popular freshwater angling location, and there does seem to be an abundance of fish life visible in the shallows. I took a short video in the swimming bay at 'The Spit', where schools of Western Carp Gudgeon (Hypseleotris klunzingeri), Barred Grunter (Amniataba percoides), Fly-specked Hardyhead (Craterocephalus stercusmuscarum) and Snubnose Garfish (Arrhamphus sclerolepis) were congregating.



Spectacled Monarch, Aspley;
Photo by Jane Curnow
A friend of mine had an interesting wildlife encounter at her Aspley home towards the end of the month. Barking from pet Labrador 'Pippy' drew attention to a small visitor on her shaded back deck - an immature Spectacled Monarch (Monarcha trivirgatus). This beautiful little bird is a summer migrant to the rainforests of South-East Queensland and Northern New South Wales, but it seems the first migration attempt of this young individual has sent it astray into the suburbs. It is possible that it was making its maiden voyage to North Queensland using vegetation corridors along Cabbage Tree Creek, before it took a wrong turn somewhere. 'Pippy' left the bird unharmed, and after a short rest, I am assured that it continued on its way!
Another area where the retention of suburban creekside vegetation has made a difference for the local wildlife is out in the Redlands suburb of Ormiston. A series of reserves along Hilliards Creek allows a variety of animal species to flourish, despite their proximity to increasing urban development. In Fellmonger Park this month, I was delighted to see a beautiful male Koala (Phascolarctos cinereus) unhurriedly make his way across the parkland to reach another tree. A stranger sight was this large Sawfly (Pergidae family) larva on a dead tree stump.

Sawfly larva, Ormiston.

I spent the last official day of summer down near the Queensland / New South Wales border, visiting my Dad. He currently lives opposite the Tweed River and always has a new wildlife story to share with me when I see him. On this particular occasion, we caught up while enjoying views of various waterbirds before us, including this Great Egret (Ardea modesta) and Australian Pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus).

Australian Pelican and Great Egret, Tweed Heads West

Here's hoping that March brings some much needed rain for our wildlife and our farmers. Until then, enjoy wild Brisbane!

Comments

  1. Hi Christian. It was once thought that Spectacled Monarch was a summer visitor to SEQ-NENSW (like Black-faced). However, it is now believed that although some birds migrate, the bulk of the population is resident though silent in the cooler months and therefore inconspicuous (like White-eared)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Greg! I was just working from the Pizzey field guide but as always, local 'insider info' proves invaluable!

      Delete
  2. lovely set of birds! i LOVE those handsome whistling ducks! i know the dry conditions must be extremely worrisome. hoping you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I do always think of the Whistling Ducks on your farm whenever I see our local species here! :)

      Delete
  3. the Whistling ducks photo is SUPER Christian; nice close-up. In stark comparison, here we've experienced torrential rains 10 mm in 10 mins, and 250 mm inside 24 hours. Aspley - lived there for the year of '91; loved the Monarch bird, how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, Whistling Ducks are some of my very favourite birds. I didn't know you were once a BNE resident, how wonderful! I spent many happy years in Sydney and enjoyed my journeys north to your neck of the woods everytime also! :)

      Delete
  4. Surprised to see a Spectacled Monarch in the suburbs of Brisbane. Was it found in the inner suburbs, or was it fond on the outer suburbs like Brookfield, Kenmore and The Gap?? I recently saw a juvenile Black-faced Monarch at Sandy Camp Road Wetlands in Wynnum, which is quite close to the bay, so it seems like strange habitat for a monarch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben! It was seen in Aspley, which is a very busy northern suburb along Gympie Road, hence why I was so surprised! I do remember as a kid seeing a Black-faced Monarch in my Bracken Ridge garden and feeling like I'd won the bird lottery, so clearly these birds get around! I would have felt the same had I seen one in Wynnum, so good spotting!

      Delete
  5. Those Whistling ducks are awesome, spider looks interesting to say the least, hope you get the weather you need.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon, yes the Whistling Ducks are one of my favourites! :)

      Delete
  6. I so look forward to your posts Christian. Wonderful photos as ever and so fascinating for me over on the other side of the world. My favourite is the ducks with those swept back feathers - fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, glad you enjoy my nerdy obsession! :)

      Delete
  7. Superb series of pics. Sorry to note about the dry weather conditions. Hope you get copious rains soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ram, yes the heavens have opened up plenty since!

      Delete
  8. Hi Christian, I continue to be amazed at the depth and variety of your knowledge of all things wild and wonderful. Birds, bugs, fish, plants - you are an extremely knowledgable chap. Wish I had time to devote to other than birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, thanks Phil, that's very high praise coming from someone as clever as yourself! Glad you find value in my posts :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Wild Queensland: Photos and stories from my roadtrip north

Earlier this month, I drove up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsunday Region to celebrate the 40th birthday of my close friend, Kat. Photo by Luke Martin. Our time there overlapped for one weekend, in which we enjoyed swims, drinks, hearty dinners and a sailing adventure around the islands. The celebrations and wonderful catch-ups flew by quickly, but when Kat and her husband Luke flew back down south on Sunday, I still had a week's worth of time at my disposal to explore the nature of Queensland's coast. I started with a journey into the forests of Conway National Park, just a ten minute drive east of Airlie Beach. I spent a sunny, humid morning walking up to the peak of Mount Rooper, through vine scrub and eucalypt forest. It was exhilarating!  I immediately saw a new species of bird for me in the carpark there, a female olive-backed sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis). After so much rain earlier in the week, the forest floor was also teeming with amazing fungi! After lunch back in town,