Skip to main content

Successful fish survey in the North Pine River

A fish survey I conducted in the North Pine River last weekend was productive, with seven different species being found in a quiet stretch of water alongside Mungarra Reserve.

Common silverbiddy, Lawnton.
Most numerous were estuary glassfish (Ambassis marianus), a native species which studies suggest is just as good at controlling mosquito larvae as the introduced eastern mosquitofish (Gambusia holbrooki), also present.

Another mosquito predator occurring in smaller numbers was the Pacific blue-eye (Pseudomugil signifer); between these fish species and recent aerial spraying, not a single mosquito bothered me all afternoon.

The river at this location is close enough to the ocean to be tidal, but far enough upstream to have low salinity, with the riparian vegetation being comprised of regular trees and not salt-tolerant mangroves.

This kind of habitat is often used as a fish nursery for marine species, where juveniles can dwell in relative safety until they are ready for the challenges of life downstream near the river mouth and bay.

As a result, small (<15cm) yellowfin bream (Acanthopagrus australis) were common in the main channel, and a young common silverbiddy (Gerres subfasciatus) was caught in a fish trap set near the vegetated river margin. Perhaps my favourite discovery however was a school of tiny striped scat (Selenotoca multifasciata) found sheltering beneath a submerged branch, shown below.


Edit: The fish in the photo at the top of this post had originally been identified as a glassfish, but Tim Howell, who runs the Facebook page 'Wildlife of Noosa', correctly identified it as a silverbiddy. Thanks Tim!

Comments

  1. Nice post - do you just net the fish?

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart! I use a variety of techniques, outlined here: http://wildbrisbane.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/fish-watching.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys

Book review Reed New Holland Publishing, 2002. It’s noon on a warm autumn day and I am driving south along Beaudesert Road towards the peripheral suburbs of Brisbane’s southside that remain largely a mystery to me. I have decided that not knowing the amphibian fauna inhabiting the suburb of Algester is a personal error that I simply must rectify. My favourite way to search for frogs is to go spotlighting on humid spring and summer nights, but I have left it a little late this year and doubt my chances at finding them now that the evenings have mercifully turned cooler. Instead, I am going to survey the local amphibian population in a way that is quite new to me, aided by a secret weapon sitting in the passenger seat next to me: Marion Anstis’s book, Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys .