Skip to main content

The bats are back in town

Black flying-foxes, Herston.

During a bird survey at Rasey Park on the weekend, I found a colony of black-flying foxes (Pteropus alecto) in the mangroves lining Breakfast Creek.

The sight was a relief: earlier last month, the Brisbane Times reported on the mysterious disappearance of South-east Queensland’s flying-foxes, as observed by Gold Coast bat expert, Trish Wimberley. 

The news had triggered alarm in me—suddenly I couldn’t recall having seen any bats for at least a few weeks, an unusual occurrence for anyone living within the Norman Creek catchment area.

A walk with the spotlight through Dawn Road Reserve in mid-June didn’t allay my worries either, as not a single flying-fox was seen or heard.

Where were they?

It seems this year that the flying-foxes are having to chase food supplies a little harder than usual, and the nomadic grey-headed (P. poliocephalus) and little red flying-foxes (P. scapulatus) have sought nourishment further south where the eucalypt blooming season has already commenced.

The black flying-fox is considered more of a sedentary species however, travelling distances each night of around 15 to 30km away from its roosting camp; that there also seems to be very few of these presently in South-east Queensland is therefore notable.

Flying-foxes are very susceptible to heat stress thanks to their lean bodies, large surface area and exposed roosting sites; with the twelve months between July 2015 and June 2016 being the warmest on record for Australia, it is possible that our bats have had a very poor breeding season.

Now that the forest red gums (Eucalyptus tereticornis), tallowwoods (E. microcorys) and various ironbarks are coming into flower, it will be interesting to see if flying-fox numbers perk up in the local area.

Comments

  1. I do hope the BAt numbered will increase and be back in force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, they are important pollinators of our forests, so I hope so too!

      Delete
  2. Black flying foxes are awesome bats, one of my favourite! I have found that they are common up here in Caloundra, but their numbers can be quite variable. shame to see them in such low numbers in Brisbane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am more partial to the grey-headeds, probably just because my encounters with them have been fewer and therefore more memorable! Hopefully the low numbers at present mostly reflects seasonal variability, so will keep an eye out on the fly outs :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Wild Queensland: Photos and stories from my roadtrip north

Earlier this month, I drove up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsunday Region to celebrate the 40th birthday of my close friend, Kat. Photo by Luke Martin. Our time there overlapped for one weekend, in which we enjoyed swims, drinks, hearty dinners and a sailing adventure around the islands. The celebrations and wonderful catch-ups flew by quickly, but when Kat and her husband Luke flew back down south on Sunday, I still had a week's worth of time at my disposal to explore the nature of Queensland's coast. I started with a journey into the forests of Conway National Park, just a ten minute drive east of Airlie Beach. I spent a sunny, humid morning walking up to the peak of Mount Rooper, through vine scrub and eucalypt forest. It was exhilarating!  I immediately saw a new species of bird for me in the carpark there, a female olive-backed sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis). After so much rain earlier in the week, the forest floor was also teeming with amazing fungi! After lunch back in town,