Skip to main content

Dingo sighted in Wacol bushland

Of all the animals I thought I might see today during my first visit to Pooh Corner Bushland Reserve, a dingo wasn’t one of them! 

I had just passed a woman walking with two offleash dogs when I saw a third dog following at a distance behind them. Only, the dog ran off the track and into the bush when it saw me, and I realised it was a wild animal!

It was wary without being particularly afraid; it never took its eyes off me, but it also seemed fairly content to stay put in the dry grass just twenty-five to thirty metres away.

Wacol is famous for its abundant eastern grey kangaroo population, some of which I saw today on the fields surrounding the nearby jail. Perhaps the lure of prey and access to water during these dry times has lured this creature down from the nearby ranges, where dingos are known to occur according to the Queensland Museum.

Although most likely not a purebred individual, I believe there is a lot of dingo in this animal’s genetic make-up regardless, and this also seems to be the consensus of a Facebook group that I shared my images in. While nobody can ascertain an animal’s DNA from a simple visual inspection, recent research has shown that the genetic purity of mainland dingo populations is not as watered down as farmers and governments would have us believe. When the University of NSW conducted DNA tests on 783 ‘wild dogs’ killed in the state over a 16-year period, the results were surprising: 25 per cent were pure-bred dingos, and the majority of the rest were mostly dingo. Just five animals were domestic dogs lacking any trace of dingo DNA.

Dingos are nevertheless a controversial topic in Australia. Fossil evidence and genetic research suggests that dingos are human-assisted immigrants to our country that have been here for about 5000 years, and there are almost identical dogs in Papua New Guinea and Thailand. With this in mind, they can be viewed as an introduced animal that displaces, destroys and competes with our native fauna. Other studies highlight that dingos are beneficial to our ecosystems, however, by suppressing and controlling mid-tier predators like cats and foxes, improving outcomes for small animals in the process. It’s possible that dingos are not just introduced, but naturalised, occupying an important and necessary apex predator role, albeit one they took from the mainland thylacine.

Politics and contentious opinions aside, I feel so lucky to have seen this animal within Brisbane’s city limits. When I started this blog, my aim was to show people that amazing, thrilling and surprising wildlife encounters are entirely possible within our own proverbial backyards. This dingo certainly puts the ‘wild’ in ‘Wild Brisbane’.


Comments

  1. Wow, such a great sighting Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting to see! We see them quite frequently around Beechmont (up near Binna Burra). It’s a thrill to live in the same landscape as a top predator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just went for a walk in Pooh reserve now and spotted one who acted and had a near identical face shape to the dingo you described. Wanted to comment as let you know he seems happy and healthy. Such a privilege!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just spotted a dingo in the archery grounds heading up towards Sumner Park. Might be the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear I just saw him half way between the townhouses and the dog park along the electricity wires on tge edge of wacol bushland. He was quietly watching me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sure we just saw him today at noon along the train line fence. He saw us and we both slowly backed off in opposite directions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seen 15/05/2023. Lazily sitting exposed by the train tracks watching the trains pass just outside the fence at wacol jail. About 300 from where the kangaroos hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen him a few times with the latest yesterday (6th Dec 23) along the railway fence. He has trailed me for a few hundred meters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A second sighting of a dingo as I passed pooh corner on the train 2 days ago. He was walking the track opposite wacol remand centre.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys

Book review Reed New Holland Publishing, 2002. It’s noon on a warm autumn day and I am driving south along Beaudesert Road towards the peripheral suburbs of Brisbane’s southside that remain largely a mystery to me. I have decided that not knowing the amphibian fauna inhabiting the suburb of Algester is a personal error that I simply must rectify. My favourite way to search for frogs is to go spotlighting on humid spring and summer nights, but I have left it a little late this year and doubt my chances at finding them now that the evenings have mercifully turned cooler. Instead, I am going to survey the local amphibian population in a way that is quite new to me, aided by a secret weapon sitting in the passenger seat next to me: Marion Anstis’s book, Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys .