Skip to main content

Sea anemones plentiful in Sunshine Coast rockpools

LEFT: decorated anemone, RIGHT: green anemone.

Last Wednesday I went searching for sea anemones on a rocky shoreline south of Coolum Beach, and found five different species in the rock pools there.

My first sighting was of a decorated anemone (Oulactis muscosa) in a sandy, wave-exposed pool, which is a typical microhabitat for this species.

This animal has greyish-white tentacles and a dark red section inside its oral disc, and gets its name from the way it decorates its margins with sand and pebbles in order to better camouflage itself.

This species can often appear almost entirely buried by sand, but I found one specimen in a calmer rock pool that allowed for the good view shown above.

Next up was a green anemone (Aulactinia veratra), and this proved to be a common and variable species at this location.

It was most frequently found deep inside crevices, including some narrow and shallow ones that barely held any water at low tide.

The colour of this creature was not always the vivid green shown in the photo here, and it was quite often a muddy brown hue instead.

Encountering the decorated and green anemones at the start of my search made my eyes grow accustomed to typical anemone shapes and hiding spots, so much so that seeing the next wildly atypical species came as quite a surprise: I suddenly realised that stretching out over the rocks and pools before me lay a vast colony of tiny anemones that I had read about in the Queensland Museum’s Wild Guide to Moreton Bay.

These creatures were green and grey in colour, and the ones that were exposed to the air had retracted their tentacles into compact little stubs.

MAIN: unidentified Anthopleura species, INSET: Anthopleura handi.

In the first edition of the museum’s Wild Guide, these animals were considered to be zoanthids, relatives of anemones and coral that are often found together in large aggregations.

The second edition in 2011 updated their ID to being an unidentified species of Anthopleura anemone, however, and no information beyond that seems to be available.

Their green body columns and unmarked grey oral discs and tentacles are quite different to the related anemones found elsewhere in the Indo-Pacific region, and it is possible that they are unique to South-east Queensland and Northern New South Wales.

There was a second species of Anthopleura that I found at this location as well, albeit in much smaller numbers. It is called Anthopleura handi, and it has white banding on its tentacles.

One Australian anemone ‘superstar’ that I had been hoping to locate in the rock pools was the waratah anemone (Actinia tenebrosa).

Being a brilliant red colour, I originally thought it would prove easier to spot than its more camouflaged relatives, but I found otherwise.

It turns out that I was initially looking for this species in the wrong microhabitat; it actually grows not in the cracks and crevices like the other anemones, but midway up on the boulders where the surf crashes on an incoming tide.

MAIN: anemone survey area, INSET: waratah anemones.

Unfortunately, as I was visiting during a low tide, all I could see were the blobby body columns that the tentacles are withdrawn into when exposed to the air. Once I knew where to look, however, I could see that it was a very numerous species, and I will remember this information should I visit again on a higher tide.

For those of you who are as fascinated by these beautiful animals as I am, the Queensland Museum has published a helpful paper on all the various anemones found in our local waters (minus the undescribed colonial one), available in a free PDF format here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Wild Queensland: Photos and stories from my roadtrip north

Earlier this month, I drove up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsunday Region to celebrate the 40th birthday of my close friend, Kat. Photo by Luke Martin. Our time there overlapped for one weekend, in which we enjoyed swims, drinks, hearty dinners and a sailing adventure around the islands. The celebrations and wonderful catch-ups flew by quickly, but when Kat and her husband Luke flew back down south on Sunday, I still had a week's worth of time at my disposal to explore the nature of Queensland's coast. I started with a journey into the forests of Conway National Park, just a ten minute drive east of Airlie Beach. I spent a sunny, humid morning walking up to the peak of Mount Rooper, through vine scrub and eucalypt forest. It was exhilarating!  I immediately saw a new species of bird for me in the carpark there, a female olive-backed sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis). After so much rain earlier in the week, the forest floor was also teeming with amazing fungi! After lunch back in town,