Skip to main content

A night on Mount Tamborine—in pictures

A great barred frog and leech in Tamborine National Park. 

Last Friday, I headed up to Mount Tamborine so that I could visit the Piccabeen Bookshop run by the local Landcare group, and find some rainforest snails to photograph after dark. 

The trip was a great success, as not only did I find beautiful books and snails, I also found a menagerie of other amazing creatures, most of which I’d never seen before.

Here is a gallery of some of those finds, including notes on each.

This southern leaf-tailed gecko (Saltuarias swaini) was 
honestly one of the most spectacular things I’ve ever seen. 
It is a very big gecko compared to the introduced house 
gecko I am most familiar with, and its camouflage is
excellent—I just happened to look in the right direction at 
the right time.

I was crouching down and observing my first giant panda snail, when I saw a movement from the corner of my eye: a snake crawling slowly over a tree buttress. It turned out to be a golden-crowned snake (Cacophis squamulosa), a mildly venomous hunter of sleeping lizards. I had read that crowned snakes do a threat display before they bite, where they rear up and almost headbutt an attacker, so I knew I’d get a warning if this snake felt like I was invading its space. It turned out to be a very placid animal, and I thanked it by not outstaying my welcome.

I thought of the snake again when I later found this orange-tailed shadeskink (Saproscincus challengeri) spending the night not in the leaf litter, but elevated on a palm frond. Clever skink!

My first pill millipede! Unlike other millipedes, Sphaerotheriids have no chemical defences, and protect themselves by curling tightly into a ball. I was caught off-guard by the size and robustness of this creature, as I had expected it to be small like a slater.

I was surprised by the amount of frog activity given that it is almost winter! One of my first finds for the evening was a tusked frog (Adelotus brevis) on the boardwalk at the Tamborine Mountain Landcare Centre. I also heard whistling treefrogs (Litoria verreauxii) and great barred frogs (Mixophyes fasciolatus) at this site, with the latter species being seen again at one of the nearby National Parks.

There were plenty of spiders in the rainforest and probably the most fascinating were the Brisbane tube spiders (Arbanitis longipes). A type of trapdoor spider that neglects to build the trapdoor, small colonies of this species dotted the soil between many of the buttress roots.

Comments

  1. These are great night sots and all the critters are very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, glad you enjoyed my efforts!

      Delete
  2. What a great assortment of wildlife you found. Your observation skills are excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Wild Queensland: Photos and stories from my roadtrip north

Earlier this month, I drove up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsunday Region to celebrate the 40th birthday of my close friend, Kat. Photo by Luke Martin. Our time there overlapped for one weekend, in which we enjoyed swims, drinks, hearty dinners and a sailing adventure around the islands. The celebrations and wonderful catch-ups flew by quickly, but when Kat and her husband Luke flew back down south on Sunday, I still had a week's worth of time at my disposal to explore the nature of Queensland's coast. I started with a journey into the forests of Conway National Park, just a ten minute drive east of Airlie Beach. I spent a sunny, humid morning walking up to the peak of Mount Rooper, through vine scrub and eucalypt forest. It was exhilarating!  I immediately saw a new species of bird for me in the carpark there, a female olive-backed sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis). After so much rain earlier in the week, the forest floor was also teeming with amazing fungi! After lunch back in town,