Skip to main content

Butcherbirds kick off breeding season with morning duets

Today I woke to the sound of a butcherbird duet, a sign of life on an otherwise cold and still winter’s morning. Thinking they would make a good photography subject, I decided to see if I could follow my ears to track them down.

Emerging onto the street outside my apartment block, I realised the singing was echoing off the tall buildings around me and that try as I might, I couldn’t quite pinpoint the direction it was coming from. In my room, I had felt like the sounds were coming from the direction of the main road, so I headed that way.

The song was that of the pied butcherbird (Cracticus nigrogularis) specifically, a beautiful, full-bodied fluting sound, rich in melody and sung by the male and female together. At the main road, however, there were already cars passing by, and it made it hard to hear the still somewhat distant birds.

After wandering a few blocks fruitlessly, I ended up walking away from the main road, towards houses and parkland. There, at the top of a Norfolk pine, I saw a pied butcherbird singing out into the suburb, its partner now nowhere to be seen. When a Torresian crow joined the butcherbird near the top of the tree, the smaller bird left its perch, and the show—of which I’d only seen a few seconds—was over.

Later that afternoon, I went back to the park hoping that I would see the same bird lower down in the trees, hunting ground-dwelling invertebrates during the warmest part of the day. Instead, I saw it again perched at the top of a tree, this time a eucalypt, and preening instead of singing. As I moved around the tree base to get the best photography view, I saw a messy clump of sticks about eight metres above my head in the next tree over. It was a butcherbird nest!

Sure enough, the partner of the preening bird suddenly appeared with a twig in its mouth and proceeded to forcefully insert it into the nest. I watched it make several of these trips, with the bird disappearing each time into the backyards adjacent to the park, and returning with more twigs.

I was struck by how the nest-building was the endeavour of one bird solely, with its partner remaining high on its perch the entire time, showing no interest. I suspected it was the female undertaking the nest labour, and the male who was perched up above, perhaps where he could keep a casual eye on their breeding territory. Later, the Birds in Backyards website confirmed these thoughts, noting that females build the nest and incubate the eggs all by themselves.

It was also interesting to read that pied butcherbirds breed at different times of the year depending on whether they are in the northern or southern half of the continent. With these local birds having just started their breeding season now in August, it would appear that according to butcherbirds, Brisbane is a southern location that has more in common with Sydney and Melbourne than the tropical north. The chill in the air today has me agreeing with them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys

Book review Reed New Holland Publishing, 2002. It’s noon on a warm autumn day and I am driving south along Beaudesert Road towards the peripheral suburbs of Brisbane’s southside that remain largely a mystery to me. I have decided that not knowing the amphibian fauna inhabiting the suburb of Algester is a personal error that I simply must rectify. My favourite way to search for frogs is to go spotlighting on humid spring and summer nights, but I have left it a little late this year and doubt my chances at finding them now that the evenings have mercifully turned cooler. Instead, I am going to survey the local amphibian population in a way that is quite new to me, aided by a secret weapon sitting in the passenger seat next to me: Marion Anstis’s book, Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys .