Skip to main content

Bayside light sheet survey: beautiful moths dazzle onlookers in suburban bushland


I had the best experience on Saturday night! Bayside Creeks Catchment Group held a nocturnal foray into Melaleuca Environmental Park at Lota to survey moths at a light sheet, and we saw so many interesting creatures!


The survey was conducted as part of Brisbane's Big Butterfly Count, a community engagement and citizen science project being run through March to gather butterfly records across the city. Someone had the bright idea to not leave out the nocturnal cousins of butterflies, and to them I am very grateful!


The evening was hosted by the friendly Keith Brown from Bayside Creeks Catchment Group, and the participants gathered around the light sheet set-up to hear expert commentary from John Moss and Wes Jenkinson, who both have many years of experience with lepidopterans.

For those interested in the set-up, there was a metal frame tied upright with rope and pegs, over which a white sheet was draped. A bracket holding two bulbs was placed over the top, with one side illuminating the sheet with a black light, and the other doing so with a mercury vapour light. These were powered by a generator placed nearby. The lights attracted insects onto the sheet, where they were then studied and admired. 


The moth highlight of the night was a stunning emerald geometrid called Protuliocnemis partita (see photo at the top of this page). It was beautiful enough to capture the hearts of us amateurs, and uncommon enough to excite the experts as well.

There were plenty of other insects to see besides moths, with one of my favourites being a vivid-green katydid, shown below with some fuzzy Panacela moths. The katydid belongs to a genus called Polichne, but many of the species in that genus are undescribed and unnamed by scientists. It is truly indicative of the mystery of the invertebrate world that one can potentially find unnamed insects even in our suburbs.


There are an estimated twenty to thirty-thousand moth species living in Australia, many of which are also unnamed or entirely unknown. Even when a species is named and rather common, its caterpillar form and larval food plant can still remain a mystery, which is exactly the case for the white-banded owl moth (Donuca rubropicta).


As the evening progressed and the light sheet became full with moths of all sizes, predatory insects started to arrive as well. The mantid lacewings (Mantispidae) made a particularly strong impression on many of us, as we saw them hunt down prey right before our very eyes on the sheet. These creatures are a type of lacewing that have strong, grasping arms and claws reminiscent of a praying mantis. I had never seen any until this night, so it was a real treat to see so many up close and personal. The photo below shows a mantid lacewing attacking a Panacela moth that is quite a bit bulkier than itself, as other moths take flight nearby.


Beetles from a variety of families were also present at the light. The Eucalyptus longhorn (Phoracantha semipunctata) was the most attention-grabbing of them all with its outrageously long antennae, but I also noticed a ground beetle (Carabidae), click beetle (Elateridae), some soldier beetles (Cantharidae) and many scarab beetles (Scarabaeidae) visiting as well.


With so much insect activity in one place, it was easy to overlook smaller species. Some of these happened to be vividly patterned, however, and I documented a few with my camera. The two spotty moths below are from different families; the one on the left is Atteva niphocosma (Yponomeutidae) and the one on the right is Ethmia clytodoxa (Depressariidae). 


I had such a wonderful night, and the experience really opened my eyes to not just the incredible invertebrate diversity in our midst, but a new way to find, appreciate and record these creatures. I am very grateful to John and Wes for all the information they were able to impart about moths; I learned about the itchy caterpillars of the white cedar moth (Leptocneria reducta), heard tales of a wood moth so big it was mistaken for a bat, and obtained practical tips on setting up and taking down a light sheet of my own. 


Thank you John, Wes, Keith, the teams at Bayside Creeks Catchment Group and Brisbane’s Big Butterfly Count, and all the friendly moth enthusiasts I met that made the night so enjoyable! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys

Book review Reed New Holland Publishing, 2002. It’s noon on a warm autumn day and I am driving south along Beaudesert Road towards the peripheral suburbs of Brisbane’s southside that remain largely a mystery to me. I have decided that not knowing the amphibian fauna inhabiting the suburb of Algester is a personal error that I simply must rectify. My favourite way to search for frogs is to go spotlighting on humid spring and summer nights, but I have left it a little late this year and doubt my chances at finding them now that the evenings have mercifully turned cooler. Instead, I am going to survey the local amphibian population in a way that is quite new to me, aided by a secret weapon sitting in the passenger seat next to me: Marion Anstis’s book, Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys .